Hey there pretty people, most of the people hate Bitter Gourd/Karela. I mean off course they do, name itself says it’s bitter. Irony is most of the things that taste bad is actually good for health. And its summer here, super markets are already running out of vegetables. So you gatta do what you gatta do to make it taste delicious. There is one dish that can pass with most is “Bharwa Karela”. Here is my recipe for the same and I do not support deep frying unless that is the only way to get things done, I am gonna shallow fry so that I can cut down on oil.
Here is the quick video explaining the recipe for exact ingredients and details scroll down.
· Bitter Gourd/ Karela – 5 small size
· Onion – 4 medium finely chopped or grinded
· Fennel seeds – 1tbs
· Ginger paste – 1 tbs
· Turmeric powder – ½ tbs
· Red chili powder – ½ tbs
· Dried mango powder/ Amchur – 1 tbs
· Garam masala – 1 tbs
· Oil – 4tbs
· Salt – to taste
|1. Wash and peel bitter gourd.
2. Now slit them in middle and take out all the seeds.
3. Rub some salt over them and leave for about an hour. This will take some of the bitterness out.
4. Meanwhile heat oil in a pan. Add fennel seeds and let them crackle.
5. Now add onion and ginger, sauté till onion become translucent.
6. Add turmeric, red chili powder, dried mango powder and garam masala. Cook for few minutes.
7. Add salt and filling is ready.
8. Moving back to bitter gourd, it will release some water so squeeze all the water by pressing those and pat dry.
9. Fill all the bitter gourds with the filling prepared and tie with a thread so it won’t come out while frying.
10. Shallow fry all the bitter gourds also cover with a lid in between, until skin turns golden brown.
There you go, something delicious out of Bitter Gourd is ready. Goes great with Dal and Rice. I am sure Karela will become house favorite after this. Do share your experience and I will bring back more from my kitchen.
- You can also grind bitter gourd seeds with onion for filling.
- I do not prefer onions turning brown as if will become bitter and beating bitterness is whole point of this recipe.
- You can also use air fryer for this recipe, apply some oil on bitter gourds and pop them in.
Eat delicious look fabulous…
You can also follow me on –
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/littledidthatiknow/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/SnehaAbhiSood
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/snehasood/