Christmas is upon us and it’s time to chuck all the diet plans out of window and lets get eating. I don’t know why but chocolates sounds very holiday like to me. Does that happen to anyone else? No? May be it’s just me then. So continuing on this thought, I wanted to cook something around chocolates, which should be easy. And what came to my mind? “Chocolate Mousse”. I have never made it before. This was my first attempt and ironically I am not a big fan of chocolates. But believe you me, it was divine. I and my husband finished entire thing within minutes.
There were few challenges on the way, like whipping cream. I searched the entire market and couldn’t find heavy cream. I don’t know if it’s just me or everyone in India face this. All I found was low fat cream and it’s not easy to make whipped cream out of low fat cream but also it’s not impossible. So let get to business.
- Amul low fat cream – 1 box
- Powdered Sugar – 4 tbs
- Amul Milk Chocolate – I used half a bar but go crazy use entire thing if you want
- Milk – 4 to 5 tbs
- Ice cubes
- First thing to do is keep cream carton in refrigerator for about 3 to 4 hours. If it is already in refrigerator then we can directly use that.
- Chop chocolate in small pieces and keep it in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add some milk and microwave it for about 30 seconds.
- Take it out. You will see it will be already almost melted. Mix it well and again pop it in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Repeat the above step until you get smooth melted chocolate. Keep it aside and let it cool down.
- Now comes the tough part. Take a big bowl and add ice cubes in it and put another smaller bowl inside this one. Smaller bowl is the one in which we are going to whip cream. This is to keep cream cold otherwise it melts fast.
- Take out the cream carton from the refrigerator and scoop out only the top thick layer of cream. At the bottom you will see watery part, we don’t want to use that.
- Now add powdered sugar in it and start whipping. It is nearly impossible to do this by hand as it is low fat cream, electric blender itself took about 12 to 15 mins for me.
- Keep on whipping till it reaches stiff peak. Be careful here because it will split if over whipped.
- Once it is done fold whipping cream in melted chocolate. If chocolate is hot do not add cream, let it cool down first.
- Pipe it into glasses and let it set for about 2 hours.
And your heavenly indulgence is ready. If you find heavy cream or whipping cream in market then this will be a lot easier but trust me it’s all worth it.
Let me know how this turns out for you and I will see you next time with some other holiday recipe.
- You can also use dark or white chocolate . Create multiple layer to enhance the taste.
- Instead of melting chocolate in microwave you can also make a double boiler. Heat some water in a large bowl and put smaller bowl of chocolate in it. Keep on stirring till it melts.
- It is very difficult to explain “How to whip cream?” in words. Let me know if you guys face difficulty. I will try to upload a video for this.