It took me one year to finally get my self cooking this one. Recently I have become so health conscious and wasn’t easy for me to make my self eat this much of cheese. But finally I decided to do it. (and I secretly made promise to myself to double my workout routine, like that is going to workout) Anyways enough of me talking to my own self and we will get straight to recipe.
For layering we need tomato sauce, white sauce , lots of cheese, vegetables and lasagna/pasta sheets. So here I am gonna try to divide recipe according to these sections.
You can take any vegetables that you like.In my case I figured that with so much amount of cheese it is going to be pretty heavy so I decided to use vegetables that has high water content (also the idea behind it was to put things that we don’t usually eat).So this is what I used.
- Vegetables – chopped in small cubes
- Onion – 1, chopped in small pieces
- Garlic – 6 cloves, finely chopped
- Oregano – 1 tbs
- Chilly flakes – 1/2 tbs
- Olive oil – 3 tbs
- Heat oil in a pan and add garlic. Saute for some time until that raw aroma of them comes out.
- Add onions. Saute till it becomes translucent.
- Now add all your vegetables, saute until every thing is cooked. You can even close the lid process will be fast.
- Add Oregano and chilly flakes, don’t under estimate these two. Keep in mind what happens when you put too much on pizza.I have given measurements but you can change is according to your taste.
- Also add some salt.At this point we are done with one layer.
Tomato Sauce :
For quick fix you can very well use any pizza sauce available in market. I my self used canned pizza sauce.
You can use any that you like taste of or else you can follow below steps.
- Olive oil
- This is quite simple, you have to blanch the tomatoes, remove the skin.Remove seeds and chop them.
- Heat oil add chopped tomatoes, cook for few mins and add basil.
White Sauce :
- All purpose flour – 2 tbs
- Butter – 1 tbs
- Olive oil – 2 tbs
- Milk – 1 and 1/2 cup
- Black or white pepper powder – 1/4 tbs
- Oregano – 1/2 tbs
- Cheese – 1/2 cup : whichever one that you like , I used cheddar
- Add butter and oil in a pan and let it heat for sometime.
- Now add flour to it. Here you will have to keep eye on it and stir continuously. Until you get nice aroma of flour coming out of it. Make sure it doesn’t turn brown , remember we are making white sauce people.
- Now add milk and let it come to boiling point. You can change to whisk at this point. Don’t stop stirring we don’t want it to get burnt.
- You ll see it getting thicker, add cheese , oregano and pepper. Technically we should use white pepper in white sauce but I didn’t have any so I added black pepper.
- Cook for some more time.It will get thicker and you white sauce is done. Point to be noted as it will cool down thickness will increase so don’t over do the boiling part.
I used pre-cooked lasagna sheets so these can be used as it is.If don’t have these then just cook you pasta sheets in boiling water with some salt and oil.
So to start layering, grease your baking dish with some oil so nothing sticks.Now we are gonna go in following order :
- Tomato sauce
- Pasta sheets
- White sauce
Repeat this as many times as you want but make sure top layer is cheese.
- Cover your baking dish with foil.
- Now we are gonna pop this into pre-heated over at 200° for 20 minutes.
- Take it out from the over remove the foil.
- Again bake it for 10 more minutes.
- Now 3 to 4 mins for broil. Doing this will give browning on the top layer of cheese.
And we are done. I know it seems like a lot of steps but everything takes about few mins.Serve it with garlic bread or what the hack just dig in. But let it cool for some times its gonna be so hot.
Note: Go easy on salt because we are adding cheese and it will already have saltiness based on which one you are using.
- Backed Vegetables –There are people like my husband who don’t like pasta, for these kind of fussy eaters you can skip the part of adding pasta sheets and tomato sauce. Mix you veggies with lots of white sauce top it with cheese and you got your self baked vegetables.
- Backed Pasta – Another thing you can try is mix white sauce, veggies and any kind of pasta that you like(boiled off course) mix everything , top it with cheese and bake.
For these two variation as we have everything already cooked you can microwave it for few mins instead of backing. Apart from top cheese browning everything else is gonna be same.